Saturday, April 7, 2012

I am "fabulously 50"!

Today is my 50th birthday.

I cannot believe I am 50. Where the goodness has the last 50 years gone!?

I am happy to be 50, unlike when I turned 30. I remember sitting on a park bench and sobbing my eyes out at the thought of being 30. I was given a wonderful surprise birthday party by my husband and hated every minute of it. But looking back, I think I might have been suffering a small degree of post natal depression.

Now I am turning 50 I feel very differently. I feel fit and healthy (which is probably due to having just lost 25 kg). I am enjoying my life (probably because the kids have left home at long last!). And I really feel I am facing the peak of my life and achievements. The only thing that is a little scary is knowing I am nearer death than I was 20 years ago. But then again, I am just as likely to be run over by a bus tomorrow, as die of old age when I am 80.

One of my colleagues, Lorna Davies, listed 50 things she wanted to achieve when she turned 50 years old, but I am not that ambitious. So here's my top 5 things I want to achieve now I am 50.
  1. Become a doctor. I have been working on a doctorate in one form or another for the last 8 years. It's time I became "Dr Stewart"!
  2. Visit China. One of the things I am mindful of are the opportunities to connect with and learn from Chinese midwives that I am currently missing. This is something I want to remedy.
  3. Get a tattoo. I have been talking about this for years but still do not know what to get, or where to put it....ideas gratefully received!
  4. Reach my goal weight. I have another 5 kg to go, so hopefully will achieve this soon.
  5. Write a book. I have been thinking for quite some time about putting book together from my blog posts. What I need to decide is what my focus will be, so I know what posts to put into this book. 
What top things would you like to achieve over the next few years?

4 comments:

Motorod said...

Many Happy Returns of the Day: May Fortune smile and blessing shower upon you. May this be your best decade yet.

Jackie said...

Congratulations, and happy birthday! 50 is my next significant birthday too (though I have a few years to go yet!), and I am not yet feeling very thrilled about the prospect! (and unlike you, I loved being 30. When I turned 40 I wanted to call it thirty-ten and stay in my 30s!).

Hope the next decade is one of many adventures for you!

Charlotte Scott said...

Happy Birthday, Sarah! Have you heard/seen white ink tattoos? Very subtle. I have a small (black) tattoo on my back and in retrospect I'd put it somewhere else - because I never get to see it and recall the reason I got it!!

Sarah Stewart said...

@Motorod Thank you :)

@Jackie I know how you feel, Jackie, but I think 50 is the new 30, so I am determined to have lots of fun in the next 10 years :)

@Ms Lottie I thought of my back, but then thought there was no point in having one that I'd never see. I have to laugh at you not being able to remember why you had it done in the first place :)