Saturday, January 1, 2011

What are your goals for 2011?

I have just given myself two weeks off blogging as I have wound down from 2010 and enjoyed the Christmas holiday. I am now in Sydney for a week's holiday with my hubby, enjoying fabulous hot weather and hopefully having a really good look around all the museums and art galleries that I never got to see when I came here last with my kids. In other words...doing grown up things.

So while I eat my breakfast on King Street in the sun, I have been thinking about what I want to achieve in 2011.

Time management
I have really enjoyed having a break away from the computer and am now feeling refreshed and ready to get going again. This is just as well because I have a really hectic year coming up with much of my work being online. Like Claire and Jean, organising my time and making sure I have time away from the computer is going to have to be a really big priority for me. At the same time I do waste time when I am online, doing stuff that isn't necessary in the name of "networking". So DISCIPLINE is going to have to be the name of the game in 2011....oh well...I can dream can't I?!

Reading
What with starting my EdD in a couple of weeks and going back to teaching midwifery I am going to have to get more focused with my reading again. I do not have a clue what I am going to research for my EdD other than it will be something to do with eLearning, so I think I am going to have to start reading broadly until I know what to narrow down on. Getting my head around the learning theories informing connectivism and un-schooling for adults will be one of the first things I want to do. I am not a great theory girl, so I'll be needing yet more of that darn discipline for this.

Writing
The next round of Performance Based Research Funding (PBRF) is looming for New Zealand academics. So this year is the last chance I have for getting some peer-reviewed journal articles under my belt. Having made the decision to only publish in open access journals I am going to have to be quite strategic about where I submit my work ie somewhere that will earn me PBRF brownie points yet maintain my philosophy of open access.

In amongst all this I am thinking I will need to make a trip back to the UK for family reasons. And I need to get fit and slimmer to get my blood pressure down...cutting right back on chocolate and wine!

So 2011 is going to have to be the year of discipline and focus for me. How are things looking for you in 2011? What are your goals and plans?

6 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

Going to be a big year for both of us, I think Pam...it will be good to support each other. Mind you, I think we're as bad as each other :) :)

InfoMidwife said...

Well done Sarah... yes discipline is the key...it is so easy to waist time when on the net....thats given me an idea...thanks... I will be posting my goals today or tomorrow... and thank you for your endless support during the year...:)

Cristina Costa said...

Happy new year Sarah

Looking forward to following your new adventures. The best of luck. Keep inspiring us! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Discipline... please let me know if you find any strategies. I really need to focus and not distract myself with online 'brain breaks' (I am doing it right now). Have a fantastic 2011!
Rachel

Sarah Stewart said...

@infomidwife Looking forward to following your journey in 2011. Hope to meet at the Australian College of Midwives conference in September.

@Cristina Looking forward to hearing more about your PhD work

@midwifethinking I am in your part of the world late January/early Feb...do you fancy a meet-up?

Sarah Stewart said...

Gosh...just looking at all you wonderful women who have commented here and thinking about what you're all up to...wow...you guys are fabulous!!!! Good luck to all of you with your studies in 2011