Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Truly inspiring

It takes a lot to inspire me these days because I've been around the blocks a few times and have got a bit cynical in my old age. But I became quite teary when I listened to the presentation given by Amanda Perkins on the Virtual International Day of the Midwife about the maternity services in Romania. The conditions women live and birth in, and the challenges they face are appalling. 7 out of 10 pregnancies end in abortion. Maternal and fetal mortality is five times higher than other European countries.

What is special about Amanda is the work she has achieved in a Romanian maternity centre ....as a student midwife! She truly is an inspiration to us all.

Here is an audio recording of the very moving presentation she gave.


http://blip.tv/file/3878725

No comments: