Tuesday, November 4, 2008

How to cope with blood and gore

My daughter is thinking again about being a midwife. She loves the idea of the communication side of the job and knows she will do a brilliant job of building relationships and supporting women (she is an excellent communicator, even though I say it myself).

But she is concerned about how she'll cope with the 'medical' side of things - how will she cope with the 'blood and gore'?

Any advice from those of you who are midwives, medical practitioners and midwifery students?



Image: 'Chest Burster' Vermin Inc
www.flickr.com/photos/71038389@N00/2182701415

4 comments:

minority midwife said...

Turn on the Discovery Health Channel and just watch it over and over again, the surgeries, including c-sections, especially. Eventually she'll be able to do it even while eating strawberry cheesecake ice cream (which I one day realized looks similar!) Simple desensitization.

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks for that :)

I don't know why she's worried - I've been making her watch birth videos since she was knee high to a grass hopper.

Anonymous said...

Maybe that's why she's worried:-)

Sarah Stewart said...

What worse - I've done the same with my son!